Social media trends are clear
Social media continues to grow exponentially, helping businesses find new ways of extending their reach. As technology improves and become more prevalent, more and more people are able to access information and resources online – literally at their fingertips – worldwide.
Here’s a snapshot
|One must have access to the internet to use social media. How many people are going online?||According to InternetLiveStats.com, about 3.4 billion people are online, which is about 40% of the world population. In 1995, less than 1% of the world’s population was online.1|
|How many social media users are there, and how fast is that number growing?||There are 4.2 billion active social media users worldwide. The number of social media users grew more than 13% in 2020, which amounted to 1.3 million new users every day, and roughly 15.5 new users every single second.2|
|How do users access social media?||98.8% of the 4.2 billion worldwide access social media via a mobile device.3|
|Which social media sites are the most popular worldwide?||As of October 2020, the following social media sites were reported as the most popular:4
|Which social medias platforms are the most popular in North America?||As of January 2021, the following social media sites have the highest market share in North America: 5
|How much time does the typical internet user spend on social media?||Users spend an average of 2 hours and 25 minutes per day on social media.6|
|Which social media platform do marketers prefer?||According to the 2020 Social Media Marketing Industry Report by Social Media Examiner, Instagram is hot, with it being the second most important social platform behind Facebook. Interest in YouTube is also high; it’s considered the number-one video channel and is used by 55% of marketers in their study.7
The preferred platform also depends upon whether one is a B2B or B2C content marketer.
|Who’s using social media and how are they using it?||Here’s a sampling:
According to Hootsuite, the primary reasons for using social media range from staying up-to-date with news and current events, finding funny or entertaining content, and filling up spare time to promoting or supporting charity causes. People’s behaviors and preferences also vary with geography so be careful about projecting usage of these platforms worldwide based on stats from the United States, which makes up a small percentage (6.4%) of the world’s internet users.22
|Does social media’s influence improve sales?||
|What fuels the growth of social media?||Fixed internet and mobile internet connection speeds continue to accelerate. According to Datareportal.com,
With more countries moving to 5G networks, there will be a tangible growth in data consumption since faster connections mean people can enjoy richer content experiences. 31 5G has the ability to open up more opportunities for users to use their mobile devices for social, entertainment, and commerce-related activities.
How will these social media trends affect your business? Are your customers active online? Think about your target customer profile, key customer touch points, and then determine whether you can afford not to have a social media strategy.
- Bredava, Anna. “17 Awesome Examples of Social Media Marketing.” Search Engine Journal. Last modified December 31, 2022. https://www.searchenginejournal.com/social-media-marketing-examples/380202/.
- Cooper, Paige. “The Best time to Post on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.” Hootsite Media Inc. (blog). last modified March 3, 2021, https://blog.hootsuite.com/best-time-to-post-on-facebook-twitter-instagram/.
- Forsey, Caroline. “The State of Social Media in 2023: How You Can Build Communities, Drive Sales, and Go Viral, According to 1,000+ Social Media Managers.” Hubspot, Inc. (blog). Last modified March 7, 2023. https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/state-of-social-media.
- Gomez, Ronnie. “How 3 Top Brands Provide Social Media Customer Service and Support.” SproutSocial (blog). Last modified December 14, 2022. https://sproutsocial.com/insights/social-media-customer-service/.
- Karr, Douglas. “How Small Businesses Are Using And Benefitting From Social Media.” DK New Media, LLC. Last modified February 8, 2023. https://martech.zone/small-business-and-social-media-use/.
- Lua, Afred. “2018 Social Media Trends Report: 10 Key Insights Into the Present and Future of Social Media.” Buffer Inc. Last modified January 25, 2018. https://blog.bufferapp.com/social-media-trends-2018.
- Newberry, Christina. “16 Key Social media Metrics to Track in 2023.” Hootsuite. Last modified June 23, 2022. https://blog.hootsuite.com/social-media-metrics/.
- Spiegel, Benjamin. “SocialPro 2016 Recap: What Your Social Data Should Be Teaching You.” Third Door Media, Inc. Last modified July 8, 2016. http://marketingland.com/socialpro-2016-recap-social-data-teaching-183533.
- “Social Media Referral Trends.” Net Applications. Accessed March 7, 2023. http://www.netmarketshare.com/social-media.aspx?qprid=90.