Make your go-to-market plan tactical
The strategy you pursue should include a go-to-market plan or GTM plan, which details how you will implement your strategy and extend your reach. The more details you provide, the easier it will be to meet objectives. The type of information you want to include in your GTM plan includes the following:
- Product or service information – features, benefits, roadmap, life cycle elements (beginning, incremental improvements, technology leap, end of life), competitor offerings, and insights
- Target customer profile(s) – lifestyle factors, demographics, business or consumer, environmental factors, purchasing habits, and product preferences
- Market information – size, demographics, purchasing power, region targeted, growth trends, and market trends
- Promotion or outreach programs:
- Goals – to educate, build awareness, increase sales, or improve loyalty
- Methods or vehicles used for reaching prospects – website, advertising, direct mail, email, events, social media – and setting objectives for each one
- Internal support required for outreach
- Sales tools for internal and external audiences (collateral, product demos, customer success stories, etc.)
- Telemarketers – a call script plus a list of prospects to call with enough background information to make the call worthwhile
- Marketing – defines buyer persona, buyer journey and traits exhibited, branding to be used, and product/service use cases
- Sales – training needs identified and met; able to obtain leads and close deals
- Accounting/billing processes need to be defined
- Customer and/or technical support
- Legal review
- External support required (designers, printers, technology, etc.) depending upon in-house capabilities
- Time line associated with developing and rolling out all deliverables and supporting activities
- Program tracking and processes to ensure all leads are appropriately pursued or nurtured
- Customer support and follow-up program
- Budget available
- Internal communications regarding GTM status
Sounds easy, right? Don’t worry. Your strategy will be shaped over time, but your go-to-market plan should include as many details as possible within the next 1 – 2 years to help your organization implement your vision.
- Brey, Janet. “Growth Insights for CEOs.” Chief Outsiders. Last modified September 28, 2016. https://www.chiefoutsiders.com/blog/go-to-market-plan-template.
- Davis, Julie. “Future-Proof Your Business In The Wake Of A Natural Disaster.” American Express Company. Last modified August 31, 2017. https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/business/trends-and-insights/articles/future-proof-business-wake-natural-disaster/.
- Fechter, Josh. “7 Go-To-Marketing (GTM) Strategy Examples to Inspire Yours [In 2020]. The Product Company. Last modified February 27, 2020. https://theproductcompany.com/gtm-strategy-examples/.
- “Go-To-Market Framework.” Dechert-Hampe & Company. Accessed July 30, 2019. http://dechert-hampe.com/index.php/component/content/article/39/142-go-to-market-framework.
- Llewellyn, Gavin. “The Key Characteristics of an Effective Go-to-Market Plan.” Smart Insights (Marketing Intelligence) Ltd. Last modified August 21, 2019. https://www.smartinsights.com/marketing-planning/marketing-strategy/key-characteristics-effective-go-to-market-plan/.
- Minkara, Omer. “Multi-Channel vs Omni-Channel Customer Experience.” Business 2 Community. Last modified July 20, 2014. http://www.business2community.com/customer-experience/multi-channel-vs-omni-channel-customer-experience-0948475.
- “The Go-to-Market Plan Checklist – Guild to an Effective GTM Strategy.” Linchpin SEO. Last modified December 26, 2019. https://linchpinseo.com/go-to-market-plan-checklist/.
- “Step-By-Step Guide to Creating a Viable Go to Market Strategy.” SlideModel.com. Last modified March 28, 2019. https://slidemodel.com/guide-creating-a-go-to-market-strategy/.
- Vrountas, Ted. “How to Plan and Create the Perfect Omni-Channel Marketing Strategy.” Instapage, Inc. Last modified August 28, 2017. https://instapage.com/blog/what-is-omni-channel-marketing.
- Woschnick, Vicki. “Top 10 Most Effective Marketing Strategies.” Weidert Group. Last modified June 25, 2020. https://www.weidert.com/blog/top-10-most-effective-marketing-strategies.