Why offer a product demo or freemium offering?
Product demos (or demonstrations) and freemium offerings allow customers to see or experience your product or service offering in a risk free way. Used to ‘hook’ the customer on your product or service, they can be implemented in various ways:
Use consistent messaging
Similar to collateral, use consistent branding and messaging in your online or offline demo to improve recall and trust in your company and offerings. Be sure to keep in mind who you are targeting – whether user, buyer, or influencer – and where they are in the buying cycle to improve effectiveness.
A word of caution
Creating freemiums or scaled down product demos that prospects can use on their own should be carefully considered. Depending upon the product/service being offered, they typically cost more than other sales tools to develop due to special programming, packaging, and marketing resources that may be needed to encourage prospects to try your offering. Also, getting your customers to pay for features after using them for free may be a difficult task.
- Cohan, Peter E. “Great Demo! Remote Demos Best Practices.” Last modified January 29, 2020. https://customerthink.com/great-demo-remote-demos-best-practices/.
- Downey, Gabrielle. “How to Master Product Demonstrations in 6 Simple Steps [Infographics]” Repsly (blog). Last modified March 28, 2017. https://www.repsly.com/blog/consumer-goods/mastering-product-demonstrations.
- Gobry, Pascal_Emmanuel. “EXPLAINER: What is The Freemium Business Model?” Business Insider, Inc. Last modified April 8, 2011 (2:59 PM). http://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-the-freemium-business-model-2011-4.
- James, Geoffrey. “10 Rules for Better Product Demos.” Inc.com. Last modified July 31, 2013. https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/10-rules-for-better-product-demos.html.
- Kumar, Vineet. “Making ‘Freemium’ Work.” Harvard Business Publishing. Last modified May 2014. https://hbr.org/2014/05/making-freemium-work.
- Moore, Sandy. “SaaS Marketing Challenges with Freemium.” Business 2 Community. Last modified February 8, 2019. https://www.business2community.com/marketing/saas-marketing-challenges-with-freemium-02167330.
- Murphy, Lincoln. “Freemium or Free Trial? There’s a Better Question.” Sixteen Ventures. Accessed February 14, 2022. http://sixteenventures.com/freemium-or-free-trial.
- Nation, Alexadra. “10 Secrets to Delivering a Great Product Demo.” Marketo (blog). Accessed February 14, 2022. https://blog.marketo.com/2016/05/10-secrets-to-delivering-a-great-product-demo.html.
- Schmilovici, Uzi. “The Complete Guide To Freemium Business Models.” TechCrunch. Last modified September 4, 2011. http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/04/complete-guide-freemium/.
- Shalev, Kuty. “4 Questions to Help You Price Your App in a ‘Freemium’ World.” Entrepreneur Media, Inc. Last modified September 22, 2015. http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/249062.
- Taulli, Tom. “How To Give A Killer Product Demo.” Forbes. Last modified May 19, 2018. https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomtaulli/2018/05/19/how-to-give-a-killer-product-demo/#879c8ee39688.